This page and links record some of the history and heritage of our Village. To find out more, and access the Village Trust's archives, see The Archive page.
The Domesday Book records Poulshot thus:
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales
described Poulshot like this:
POULSHOT, a parish in Devizes district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, 2½ miles S S E of Seend r.station, and 3½ S W by W of Devizes. It has a post-office under Devizes.Acres, 1, 589. Real property, £3, 961. Pop., 334. Houses, 73. The manor belongs to W. Long,Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £463.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was recentlyrestored. There is an endowed school with £11 a year.
The three pictures below show the shop at Marsh Cottages decked out for the 1953 Coronation. The shop was run by Arthur and Effie Bowden until the late 1960s. Originally they lived in the first cottage and the shop was run out of a lean to at the back. Then when they acquired the next door cottage the front room was converted to the shop. The poles the bunting is flying from are believed to be the officials' rods from the Poulshot Friendly Society which are now in Devizes Museum.
There are a number of Listed Buildings in and around Poulshot - download the list below, or search the English Heritage database here.